A week or so ago I was meandering through old entries trying to find a recipe I posted a couple of years ago.
Which is like going to look up just one small thing
in the encyclopedia and coming to about two hours later sitting on the floor surrounded by open volumes. I guess the internets equivalent is getting sucked into the TV Tropes
vortex. (Click on link at your own time-management peril).
I ended up reading the first six months of entries wherein I came to grips with physical training (and my vocal injury), and I realised a couple of things:
(a) I really suck at tag management and will now have to go back and re-tag everything
(b) posting little and often and using the blog as, ooh I don't know, an online diary or something
really actually worked. I liked being able to type the words "just back from the gym", so I tended to BE just back from the gym.
I've been updating on Facecrack, but that just dissolves into....somewhere and nowhere. You can't go back a couple of months easily, never mind a couple of years.
These days I have multiple projects on, so instead of just one multifaceted project (like etfb
's Project Apple - and hey - that one worked!) I bring you THE LIST (dun dun duuuuun!)
Here they all are:
practical singing exam - 40 minute recital with bonus viva voce from the examiners - Deadline: mid-Sept
2. Musicianship 6th grade (basically the written component of (1): aka just cos you can sing pretty doesn't mean you're allowed to be all iggerant and not know a relative minor should one bite you on the arse)(and believe me, in the past they have) Deadline: mid-August
3. Lyrebird music society recital: 5th September at 2.30pm DO come and bring all your friends -
80 minute recital (or two 40-minute halves - if ever I was losing my junior journeyman status and heading towards senior in the bizarre ricocheting journey that is my musical career where I'm either an earlier-spent-force-regathered or a very late bloomer - pick one - and looking ahead to the dim, daunting peaks of mastery, September will be the month to KNOW.)
4. Geoffrey Parsons award: 28th June in Ajuloide.
Me and Tom throwing down in the city of churches.
5. Stash wars: who will win - the fabric stash or me? In this challenge I attempt to ignore the screams of the fabric as I cut into it and actually turn it INTO something and get it out the door, or in use around the house. Deadline: end of 2010, it's gone, it's made, or it's earmarked.
6. Stuff wars (a slightly snappier title than "jesus mary joseph and ethel merman, I am drowning in STUFF and it must go before I turn into someone who has to clear a path into the rooms they want to use..."). Deadline: right bloody NOW.
7. Garden: needs to be looked after better. Deadline: so it's pretty in the Spring.
8. Gym, fitness, sleeping, eating - I'm giving this one no deadline, but I'll go with: make the better decision. Every time.
It helps to have perspective: one of my singing teacher's other students came for her lesson and we were chatting about staying well and looking after yourself and all I could hear was whine-whine-whinge (yeah, she's young and fairly ridiculous, just like looking in the retrospectoscope for me) and when she said "I'll try", I have to admit I lost my temper a little and my parting line was: "as Yoda says: Do. or Do Not. There is no 'Try'." It is a fabulous
exit line. But as I dodged trams across Royal Parade, I had to admit: good advice for me too. I either make the right decision (going to bed at 11pm not 2am; going to the gym instead of sitting hunched at my desk; cooking real food instead of eating whatever) or I don't. And no whining about the consequences. (not the warmest and fluffiest of places to be sitting, but at least it's honest).
And that should keep me going for a while, I reckon...