So Ingrid is off to be a Maid of Honour today at a friend's wedding.
She has the.most.gorgeous
vintage 60s aqua-blue coat dress (as in a sleeveless dress with matching coat) to wear and the last month or so has been a slow and steady accumulation of the accessories to go with it for what Melinda told me yesterday quite sternly was an evocation
of the 60s, NOT cos-playing them. (And you get ten points if you know exactly what the distinction is...*grin*)
As Ingrid is Engie Girl, she has approached it systematically: ie consult with people who know about fabrics and shoes and...things. And that would be me. With occasional external consults with experts (ie my mum, who actually was a stylish young woman in the 60s and who had definite Views on Heel Height).
I agreed to make Ingrid a bag and went and immediately found (as in: I walked in the door and there it was) the most beautiful fabric at spotlight, which picked up the blue but had enough contrast with the pale bronze background to make it interesting. We put it against the dress and...it worked. (Cue Alexandra wiping metaphorical sweat beads from her brow at this point).
Ingrid took the bag fabric off shoe-shopping and got something that toned in with it, so there was no escape: the bag had to be made or else there would be no crucial toning tie-in between the dress and the shoes
. And we all know what happens when THAT goes wrong.
And so I found myself the other night with a pile of fabric, some plastic for inserts, some thread and a deadline and wondering if I could remember how to sew - it has been a while
. And the sewing machine did NOT like the fabric and thus much hand-finishing was required; and my gussets didn't match (oooer, Vicar); and the thread on the bobbin was not wound correctly and I rediscovered dormant parts of my vocabulary in the process.
But when I fell into bed, I had cobbled this together:
The button is very probably from that era - I "inherited" it when my mother cleaned out her button-box and goodness only knows where she got it from. It's so OTT, I never thought I could use it, and thought my great-great-nieces would probably end up with it in their
button collections etc etc.
But when I went through the button-box on Friday night to dig out some feature buttons, I kept coming back to this one, but thought Ingrid might not like it...and the thought of having to unpick it and leaving a hole in the fabric made my brain itchy.
In the end I just chucked all the candidates in a plastic bag with thread, needle and scissors and took them into work with me yesterday. Between ceremonies I showed them all to ingrid who immediately said "the big shiny one" and almost refused to look at the more subdued buttons.
So I sewed it on and voila: wearable art! Here is Ingrid modelling the bag:
And now I cannot WAIT to see pictures of how the whole ensemble looked, especially as Miss Ingrid will have an up-do and professional make-up done.....